There are so many different types of window treatments, and plantation shutters are probably the more unique ones. They are very versatile, and they definitely give you a lot of value for your money. Not only that, but they are more cost effective than curtains and drapes. They are also very easy to clean, just a swipe of cloth and you are set. Unlike curtains, these actually add value to your house; because once you sell your house, chances are the plantation shutters will stay with the next owners too. Before you decide to invest in these bad boys, here are some things you should know.
- Normally, plantation shutters are installed in the kitchens, but you can always get them for your other rooms too. But you need to decide whether or not you should get custom ones or ready made plantation shutters. Made to order shutters will fit your windows perfectly but they will cost you more as well. But if you want to get ready made ones cut to fit your windows, then they will probably cost you almost the same amount.
- Don’t confuse plantation shutters with the traditional shutters. The traditional shutters are very outdated, and they allow very little light to come in. Plantation shutters are so much more modern, that will allow you to adjust the amount of light, while being able to look outside as well.
- The size of the louver completely depends on you. For rooms that are smaller, you should probably be fine with 2.5 inches of louvers whereas for bigger rooms, that have higher ceilings you should get at least 3.5 inches.
- If you are thinking of getting half shutters, then you should know that you will have no control over the amount of light to let in. And if you are under the misconception that they might be cheaper than the normal ones, then you should know they cost around the same as the full length ones.
- People tend to customize their shutter by getting dividers for their top and bottom louvers. This is a very good idea for when you want light and privacy at the same time, and this is something you can’t really get with drapes and curtains.
- If you don’t like the shutters on their own, you can always have some other window treatment over them, such as a lace or sheer curtain.